Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Some Days are Discouraging

Some days are just discouraging.  Wednesdays typically hit hard, especially when it's the Wednesday of the first full week back to school.  I had a rough time getting all three boys out of the house this morning, which meant I showed up at the school on time.  Drop off and pick up at my kids' school is my worst part of the day.  Basically, people are assholes and could care less about following traffic laws or keeping other kids safe let alone their own.  On a daily basis there are people speeding through the school zone, blowing through stop signs, dropping their kids off in the middle of street, ignoring crosswalks and darting out in front of cars, and so on and so on and so on.

So, this morning I spent an hour on the phone with the chief of police.  While he was very nice and empathetic to my concerns, the answer was that there's nothing that can be done.  It's impossible for them to enforce moving traffic violations because the two officers that are at the school are out of their vehicles.  It's a terrible feeling to be told there is nothing that can be done to better ensure the safety of the children, your own children.  I guess I just have to suck it up.  Seriously!  I'm really trying to cut back on my alcohol consumption, and I really don't want to be a Xanex popping basket case, but what am I suppose to do when the chief of police pretty much tells me it's every man for himself??

Can yoga every day really put me in such a state of zen that I can calmly wash away the stress of dropping off my kids at school?  I have been doing yoga every day and I swear my back is getting worse.  My shoulder is seizing up on me, and Monday I barely made it home from a mile and not quite half walk because my hips were in so much pain.  Maybe it has to get worse before it gets better???

The one good thing about my days is the book I'm rereading for the month of September...Jane Eyre.  If there's one book that puts your own life in a pretty decent light, it's Jane Eyre.  Both parents dead, abused as a child, raised with no connection to the outside world until your first boss falls in love with you, but wait, there's a hitch--crazy lady in the attic.  Yup, compared to Jane, I guess I got it pretty damn good.  Except there is a very strong possibility that if this craziness at the school persists, I might become the crazy lady in the attic.

Dear God,

Please, please don't let me become the crazy lady in the attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment