Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day 2: Lacking Zen

My first day of yoga practice was not as zen as I would have liked.  I planned to wake up at 6:00 a.m., drink some warm lemon water (which in one blog I read is "life changing"), and do a morning yoga workout on a Gaiam DVD titled "A.M./P.M. Yoga."  I have been planning on waking up at six every morning for the new school year so I don't feel so rushed and have some time for myself each day.  I did not wake up at six due to the baby having a rough night of sleep and my husband snoring...a lot.

Instead of stretching to the peaceful quiet of the early morning, I did the routine with an audience who giggled uncontrollably at the yoga instructor's tight underpants that showed his package with every stretch.  By the time the meditation portion of the workout came around, the dog had climbed onto my lap and was licking my face.  I also did not have my lemon water because I forgot to buy lemons, a necessity in making lemon water.

All that said, I still did the stretches and felt quite wonderful after them.  The P.M. segment went much smoother.  All boys tucked into bed without incident and even my husband stayed upstairs awhile while I did the second workout.  I wasn't planning on doing the relaxation portion of the workout, but finding myself completely alone (even the dog had perched herself elsewhere) I did lie there on the floor and attempt to still my body.

I decided last night that for the first week I will do just the A.M./P.M. yoga workouts since I was surprised at how little flexibility I had despite the fact that I do stretch every day.  I guess the cheating really was doing me wrong.  These two workouts will provide a nice introduction into more challenging segments later on.

I went to bed alone and having taken a Tylenol PM determined to wake up at 6 this morning.  Since the husband spent the night on the couch because of his snoring and the baby is a typically very sound sleeper, I thought I was golden. Unfortunately, baby had another rough night which can only be expected.  It seems that whenever I make a plan to make a change, there will always be those extra challenges to see just how committed I am.  I did not wake up at six again this morning, but the boys don't go back to school for another couple of days, so I'm good.

I also did not do my A.M. yoga workout yet.  Life again throws in those little hiccups.  I worked out a Plan B:  I'd eat, get a shower, and do the workout mid-morning with the boys as audience again.  The plan was a go, when after my shower my doorbell was ringing and there was my neighbor with her two grandsons.  Impromptu play date, which I was totally OK with.  It's a sweltering day and I had no idea what I was going to do with the boys for the entire day, so this was a nice distraction.  The boys are here now playing and having a wonderful time without any effort on my part.

Now, I could completely give up on the A.M. workout since I won't be able to do the workout in the A.M., but I'm determined not to cheat.  Plan C is now in effect .(Affect? I should know this, being an English teacher, but having five boys whirling about me is messing with my brain function.)  So what if I do A.M. yoga in the P.M.?  It's just an excuse and I'm really trying to be done with excuses.

My prayer for the day is quite a simple one.  I'm at a loss as to how to deal with the husband snoring.  He's stubborn.  He has refused any and all suggestions I have made, so this past summer he's spent a lot of time on the couch.  I really don't want to be one of those married couples who sleeps in separate rooms, especially after just ten years of marriage.  He is trying to lose some weight, and I, too, need to get back into focusing on that as well, so my prayer is for us to support and listen to each other in getting back to a healthier lifestyle both awake and asleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment