Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Little Circle of Control

The past week or so has left me feeling very out of control.  For anyone, that's a scary feeling.  For a control freak, like me, well it's nearing breakdown status.  I can't control my kid tripping and breaking an arm.  And I can't control how other people drive around a school.  I can't control how other people will treat me.  And I can't control the fact that my child is suffering from an anxiety disorder.  

But, there is one thing I can control in my life--banana bread...double chocolate chip banana bread!  I had two bananas sitting in my fruit bowl perfectly ripe and within a day or two no longer good.  It was completely within my control to get my ass into the kitchen and whip up a loaf of banana bread, and damn it, I did!

And, you know what?  That's not the only thing in my control.  Nope.  I have bunch of tubs of items I need to prep for an upcoming consignment sale.  I did that this morning.  And waffles!  I need to make up some waffles to freeze for breakfasts for my boys.  I can make waffles!  I'm going to do that tomorrow.

You know what I did yesterday?  I made a "To Do" list...on my phone no less.  I even gave myself due dates for some of the items.  Every single thing on that list is within my power to complete and complete it well.  See that little word there?  Power.  I don't have power over the world, but I do have power over my kitchen and living room and all the items on that list.  And maybe if I can conquer the items on that list, maybe I can conquer some small battles outside of these four walls I call home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment