Friday, November 28, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

This Thanksgiving I am thankful that this week is Thanksgiving and I have the perfect excuse to say to the outside world a big EFF YOU.  I don't know what went wrong these last few weeks other than I stopped scrapbooking and everything else went to hell.  But if there was ever a time for me to escape from reality and celebrate my family, now is the time to resume it.

We met with the principal of the elementary school who was in no way helpful nor sympathetic to our situation.  What was suppose to be a meeting about this teacher's negligence, turned into a full on argument about one homework assignment that we as a family chose not to do because there was alternate material that would be more meaningful.  One assignment.  Do you really want to open a discussion as to the shortcomings of the district's homework policies and lack of differentiated instruction?  This is about my child's teacher refusing to comply with a simple request to make sure he goes to the bathroom twice a day.  Now he is on a power trip and had us wait until Wednesday for him to make his decision, which he didn't do.  He refused to return my call Wednesday morning and when my husband went in for answers, he said, "What can I do for you?"  Like all had been forgotten.  Supposedly the switch will occur Monday and go into effect Tuesday.  Thank you, dear Mr. Principal, for fucking with my son's education.  

Then there is my work.  I have been under ridicule from my boss for the past few weeks because apparently I have had inappropriate communication with a couple of my students' guidance counselors.  What was so inappropriate?  One of my students is recuperating from a serious back injury and is going through pretty intensive physical therapy.  I wanted to know from the counselor if he was physically capable of meeting the weekly required hours and how much I should push him.  I know!  Isn't that an awful thing to communicate as one professional to another?  Apparently, it's not my job to ask those questions.  The second one was because through a dialogue with one of the counselors, I replied to a message of his without a formal address, such as "Dear Mr. Counselor" and didn't follow the script in our handbook.  We were having a discussion about the ongoing progress of a shared student, a student who suffers from bipolar disorder.  My boss actually rewrote the email for me highlighting the greeting and closing.  Once again it comes down to a matter of control.  We must micromanage every little insignificant detail, once again at the expense of the student, in order to feel important, in control, and God forbid not to possibly have me look more competent than you.

For the next four days, my goal is to not stew, as best I can.  My work is just that, work, so if they want me to play the game, then I'll play the game.  And as for Eli and the school situation, my fears are that the principal will continue to play games and not make the switch on Monday.  I wanted Eli to go back to school Monday with a fresh start, but that's not happening.  Hopefully, we can actually start back on Tuesday.  That is what I will be praying for this weekend so we can settle back in and resume some sort of normalcy for him.

Can I take a minute and just let you know the kind of kid Eli is?  I think that's what makes this all so painful.  Eli can make friends with anyone, and usually does.  He has a very encompassing energy that just draws other kids into whatever is playing out in his imagination.  All are welcome.  Eli is the kid that hovers over me making his lunch because he cannot go to school with a peanut butter sandwich.  He loves peanut butter, but one of his best friends is allergic to peanuts, so he goes without.  The other day he was at his soccer banquet and was eating some Doritoes.  His teammate was sitting next to him and somehow Eli learned he was allergic to Doritoes, so Eli got up and threw away his plate and wouldn't eat them either.  That's the kind of kid Eli is, and he doesn't deserve this.

I have seven page layouts to go.  The plan is to finish them Friday and then Saturday and Sunday work on the embellishments.  I'm behind in my plan, but maybe being behind at this point is a good thing..more to do to occupy my mind.

I'm also reading Bridget Jones's Diary.  There are about four, maybe five books, that have caused me to literally laugh out loud.  Tina Fey's Bossypants is one, and that one had me laughing the entire time.  My husband thought I was seriously losing it.  There was also a Sophie Kinsella book, not the any of the Shopaholics, but the one about the girl who loses her memory.  That had a funny part in it that had me laughing for awhile.  And both Bridget Jones books (haven't seen the third one yet).  And there might have been a few others, but these are the ones that stick out in my memory.  I had thought when I initially picked it up again that it would lighten my mood, but reading Bridget as a happily married 38 year old, versus reading it as a single 21 year old certainly had a different effect.  God, she's annoying and really and truly messed up. I also cannot get the image of Renee Zellwiger out of my head, with her weird, fake pouty lips and screwy British accent.  There had to have been a better choice.  But, it's a fast read, so I'm almost through and then can jump into something more my 30-something speed.

So that's my Thanksgiving holiday.  I pray that soon a door opens for me that will allow me to make some changes for myself and my family, and in the meantime I pray that life settles a bit.  Have a blessed holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment