Friday, October 17, 2014

Bear (or is it Bare?) With Me

You're just going to have to bear with me on this one.  I'm on my second dirty martini.  I haven't had a dirty martini in almost three years, for reasons I'm too embarrassed to disclosed, but today it has come to that.  Apparently, Mercury is in retrograde, or something, whatever the hell that means, and supposedly this means tensions are running high and electronics are on the fritz.  Ha!  The two year old somehow cut power from the remote to the television leaving us to watch Disney XD for the rest of our liiiiivvvveees.  My work has taken twice the amount of time to complete seeing as how I cannot have multiple documents of Word, and multiple pages of Chrome functioning simultaneously.  AND, I've found myself crafting long emails to my sons' teachers and the superintendent of the district, which again is taking twice the amount of time as it normally should, making it twice the amount of stress.

I am very supportive of public education, which of course means that I picked one of the shittiest public school districts in the state of New Jersey to live in.  I mean, it's the bottom of the barrel if you don't count Camden, Newark, and Trenton.  We're small and we're stupid, apparently, and being an educator myself who primarily worked with the dregs of the society, it frustrates me to no end how mismanaged and misinformed the district is.  People are moving out of town at an alarming rate just to avoid the dreaded high school, and here I am, too broke to move and too broke to afford private school, trying to "affect change" so my children can get the same quality education as the elitist school district two minutes from my house.  NO. ONE. IS. LISTENING!  I cannot bear to go into the details once more, but in short, I taught state testing classes for six years and had a pass rate that exceeded the district's pass rate by 30 percent.  I kinda know what I'm talking about, and I've been blown off by the principal and superintendent with educator jargon and buzz words that's meant to sound good and appease me, but sorry douche bags, I can read right on through it.  Your test scores are failing year after year, you have no idea how to read your data, and your shooting blind.

On top of this, Eli is having some behavioral issues in the first grade.  This in no way comes as a surprise to me; however, the teacher is being completely unhelpful.  The kid made it to "red" last week, which to my understanding means a referral to the office or at least some communication home.  You know how I know he was on "red"?  He told me.  Nothing from the teacher.  Nothing.  I emailed her yesterday to say that I was concerned about his behavior and that I was setting up a rewards system for him.  Today, he didn't know what color he was on and when I asked her, neither did she.  Hmmm.....  She said she yelled at him, but refused to let me know if he was on an acceptable "color".  Ugh!  Did he, or did he not have a good day??  I just emailed you yesterday that I have a frickin' sticker chart, but it's not effective if you don't know what damn color the kid was on!    I get the feeling that she's hinting at him having ADHD because the only feedback that I get from her is that he's not focused.  Yet, the kid is excelling in all subject areas.  From what I can tell, all the behavior issues are during unstructured or transitional times of the day. Though of course I can't be sure of this because the only detailed feedback I'm getting is from the six year old.

Oh, and did I mention that my vet is refusing to give my dog her vaccinations unless I schedule a separate office visit after my follow up with the ophthalmologist, which will cost me about a hundred bucks more??  Did I?  Did I mention that?  Yep, and when I asked to speak to the vet we see for regular visits, they didn't want to give him the message.  After three requests, they finally said they would let him know to call me, but failed to mention that he'd be out of town for the week.  <giant deep breath>

Fuck you, Mercury!!!

I did, however, wear a cute outfit today, that only a few people saw over at the school.  Jeans and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment