Tuesday, July 14, 2015

People...People Who Don't Need People

One good thing about teaching was that it distracted me enough that I forgot about how I don't like where I live.  Pool season was a stark reminder.  I hate going to the pool for many reasons.  One, I hate the sun, or rather the sun hates me.  My skin prickles and turns beet red in a matter of seconds. It physically hurts me to be in the sun. Two, it's a lot of work.  You have to pack everything up, carry it all to the car, then to the pool, then back to the car, then back inside, and back to it's proper place.  I try to give some responsibility to my boys, but it usually results in our lunch cooler being swung around resulting in either a smashed lunch or a strangled brother.  Three, I have three boys at three different stages of swimming who want to swim in three different pools, some of whom are restricted to certain pools only.  I can't hop in and swim in the deep end with Boy 1 because Boy 3 isn't allowed yet in that pool.  Four, my boys are, well, my boys.  While most 9 and 6 and nearly 4 year old boys are off swimming with their friends in whatever section of the pool they want, my boys are socially stunted, choosing to stay with each other and refusing to learn how to swim.  Oh, don't judge me that my kids can't yet swim.  They've had swim lessons since they were three, every summer.  I don't know why they can't swim.  I'm assuming it's because they are mine. The youngest still refuses to go in any pool other than the one foot pool, which then often results in the other two wanting to stay with him, so there we all are, the baby pool gang.  And finally, my last reason for hating the pool...people.  At the pool is where I feel the most socially self-conscious.  While other moms are chatting each other up, watching each other's kids, there I am alone juggling all three of mine.  There is no place I feel so friendless as at the pool.  There are a few moms I see on occasion, but for the most part I'm flying solo, which wouldn't be so bad if I could just sit back, let the kids run, read a book in the shade.  Be aloof.  But not yet.  I am forced to be present.

I keep telling myself that eventually we'll hit the summer where they're off doing their own thing, and I'm sure that summer is closer than I realize.  Every now and then I catch glimpses of it.  For now, though, I'm stuck keeping vigilance while my mind wanders to the countryside where I imagine my own private retreat, pool included, and allow discontent to wash over me.  I've found myself once again stalking Realtor.com dreaming of a different life.  Seriously, I'm totally pathetic.

So this is where I somehow need to turn the pool into a positive.  Aaannnddd....I've drawn a blank.  I have no idea how to do this.  I think it might just be something I need to suffer through as a sacrifice for the betterment of my children.  And in the meantime, pray for rainy days.


2 comments:

  1. Stalked... er, followed, you over from Scary Mommy. Loving this.

    As to the pool thing, gotta say if you have a yard, the best thing in the world is one of those blow-up kiddy pools. No crowds, no side-ways looks from Sanctimommies... Kids can splash all they want and you don't need a car. ;)

    Good luck, Mama. :) Summer's short, and those years... even shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have found your blog. I commented on another post, but I think it got erased or I did something wrong somehow :-) I can relate to so much! I have a 6, 5 and two 2 year olds. I have just started branching out and taking them places. Not a lot. Not like most people I happen to be friends with on FB. But we are getting out and swimming is a lot of WORK. And none of mine swim either. I think it can be a positive thing that your boys stay together. Mine do too. Sometimes they branch out but the younger brother always wants to be with the older one, etc. As long as the boys are happy and having fun, it is a success and a positive thing. My problem is coming home with all those wet towels and bathing suits and if we were at a beach, the sand. Just more laundry to do, but I am trying to get past that too. I could drone on and on...I've been thinking about getting back into writing and you have inspired me more in that direction. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete